June 15 - 21, 2015
10 AM to 1:30 PM each day
The Creativity Workshop in Barcelona
Now Limited Enrollment
- The Creativity Workshop in Barcelona will help you become
more creative in your personal and professional life; the creativity
training we provide uses the tools of creative writing, memoir,
art, photography, storytelling, mapmaking, and guided visualization.
- Participants come from many different countries and professional
fields, including business, education, psychology, the sciences,
and the arts.
- Many people who have taken the Workshop say that it was a
transformative experience, helping them to write their books,
start new companies, complete long overdue projects, transition
to rewarding retirements, and change the way they look at life.
- The Creativity Workshop in Barcelona meets for 5 days, 3 1/2
hours per day (from 10:00 AM to 1:30 PM). You will have the
rest of the time to wander around Barcelona and the vicinity.
- Class will take place at Hotel
HCC Open, located in the historic Eixample neighborhood,
a 10-minute walk from the elegant shopping district Passeig
de Gràcia and some of the most famous architecture of
- Barcelona is a city of extraordinary architecture,
world-class museums, chic beaches, and tranquil parks, boasting
a fabulous nightlife and seafood to die for; there is a beautiful
beachfront/restaurant district where you can stroll, sunbathe,
swim, or people-watch.
- This magnificent city inspired the artists Gaudí, Picasso,
Dalí, and Miró, all of whom have works displayed
- Seaside resort towns, such as Sitges, are only a
half-hour train ride away.
- The sounds and sights of this dynamic city will fuel your
creative endeavors in the Workshop, while the techniques we
explore in class will heighten your appreciation of Barcelona.
What Will You Learn?
The Creativity Workshop is an experiential workshop
of doing and experimenting. Our exercises and instructors’ talks
focus on helping you:
More on What You Will Learn
- Learn practical techniques to stimulate your imagination
and innovative thinking.
- Explore the process of creativity, rather than simply focusing
on the product.
- Discover how to find inspiration in the world around you.
- Get over creative blocks and the fear of failure.
- Work with many different mediums to develop your creativity
in your chosen medium more deeply.
- Use your memories to trigger your imagination.
- Engage your curiosity every day and make it work for you.
- Establish a 15 minute a day creativity practice to accomplish
your goals after the Workshop ends.
Here is a sampling of just some of the exercises
and techniques we will be working with in class. Participants
tell us the time in workshop seems to fly by. The order and kinds
of exercises and the instructors' talks may vary. Some exercises
are done individually while others are collaborative.
Monday, June 15, 2015: Arrival.
- Time for you to settle in and relax.
Tuesday, June 16: First day of workshop
More on Daily Schedule
- Introduction to the hows and whys of The Creativity Workshop.
- Relaxation: Exercises in relaxation techniques
to help your imagination flow.
- Guided Visualization: Calling forth the
your imagination using the myth of the hero's
journey as a framework.
- Automatic Writing and Drawing: Finding
your hidden imagery.
- Show and Tell: Retrieving and sharing childhood
memories to spark new ideas. This exercise will sharpen your
- Instructors' talk: How some famous writers,
scientists, and artists found their inspiration, and how you
can use some of their methods to find yours.
Wednesday, June 17:
- Guided Visualization: Mapmaking as a
way to find, chart, and communicate your creative process
- Automatic Writing: How automatic writing
(also known as “free writing”) can help you
create in new and surprising ways. How you can use automatic
writing to outrun your inner judge, get over creative blocks,
and discover new ways of developing and editing written
work. How alternating between writing and drawing can help
you develop creative flexibility and mental dexterity.
- The Interview: Listening to and experiencing
a life outside your own. How listening is as important as
doing in creative work.
Thursday, June 18:
- Guided visualization: Letter writing
as a way to express voice, character, and audience.
- Miniature Theatre: Storytelling with
- Automatic Writing: Writing in Groups.
How writing and/or drawing with others can stimulate your
imagination and expand your point of view.
- Instructors' talks may include:
- The importance of play in creative work
- Valuing creative process over product
- How to do ongoing creative work in short modules of
- How to use luck and coincidence to jump-start creative
Friday, June 19:
Saturday, June 20:
- Guided Visualization: The Myth of the
Imagining yourself living a parallel life. What would you
do that you aren't doing now?
- Trips to the Past: Using a foreign environment
to invoke memory and inspire transformation.
- The Close-Up: Using photography and drawing
to focus on details and change the way we see.
- Instructors' talks may include:
- Following your innate creativity and listening to
- How to rekindle fearless imagination
- The Power of the Magic phrase: “What If”
Sunday, June 21: Departure
- Guided Visualization: The Legend of the
- Automatic Writing and Drawing continues
with a new twist.
- Cafe exercise: Writing, drawing, photographing
about people you find in local cafes.
- The Illuminated Manuscript: A collaborative
exercise in combining mediums and perspectives.
- Instructors' talk may include:
- The Gift of the Amateur
- Creativity is a Muscle: Use it or Lose it
- Making your home and work environments inspiring
- How to stay creative after The Creativity Workshop
Barcelona Package Includes Tuition, Hotel, Breakfast
- Spouses/companions who would like to travel with their partners but do not want to attend the workshop may share a room for an additional fee.
- Vacancies are limited and hotel rooms will be assigned on a first come, first served basis. We encourage early registration in order to obtain the level of accommodations you seek.
3 STAR HOTEL AND TUITION PACKAGE: $2,500
HOTEL HCC OPEN
Arrival: June 15 - Departure: June 21, 2015
This package includes:
Tuition for The Creativity Workshop in Barcelona
6 Nights at Hotel HCC Open
in a Single Room with Private Bath
TUITION ONLY OPTION
You can register for The Creativity Workshop and make your own housing arrangements.
us for pricing and details.
The Creativity Workshop will take place at Hotel HCC Open.
Click Here for a map of the area and nearby hotels.
To reserve your place: full payment is required.
By registering you agree with our Terms
Save on packages for The Creativity Workshop with our Special Offers.
The following offers do not apply to our Workshops in New York and Singapore. Offers are not combinable.
- $600 off for participants taking the workshop for the third or more times. (Offer does not apply to Workshops in New York and Singapore.)
- $500 off for participants taking the workshop for the second time. (Offer does not apply to Workshops in New York and Singapore.)
- $100 off for participants taking the workshop for the second or more times in New York or Singapore.
- $150 off each participant for groups of 4 people or more registering together. For larger groups Contact
us for pricing. (Offer does not apply to Workshops in New York and Singapore.)
- $100 off your registration if you bring a friend to other than New York or Singapore. (The $100 off will be credited to you after your friend pays for the full tuition.)
- $100 off each participant for groups of 3 people registering together. (Offer does not apply to Workshops in New York and Singapore.)
- $50 off each participant for groups of 2 people registering together. (Offer does not apply to Workshops in New York and Singapore.)
By registering you agree with our Terms
"I had a great time attending The Creativity Workshop in Barcelona. I loved it! My experience of seeing the city that I had been dreaming of visiting for decades was greatly enhanced both by the creative exercises, which expanded my vision, and by the companionship of the other members of the group. That week will remain in my memory as a 'sparkling moment' in my life. As well as utilizing my increased confidence in my own creativity, I intend to incorporate several of the exercises we engaged in into my work as a counselor and therapist with both children and adults."
Philippa Naivasha, Social Worker and School Counsellor, Sydney, Australia